Getting ready to work with the NEW Biden/Harris Adminstration
Help send a message to President Biden that we must recover from the devestating COVID/Economic crisis by changing course. We must Build Back Fossil Free.
Trainings & Webinars
Housing Issues for Climate Activists
In Jan 2021 our Legislative Committee worked with the 350 California Legislative network to host 2 affordable housing policy experts to speak for a statewide webinar on Housing Issues for Climate Activists.
On December 13th we held our 350 Bay Area Action Legislative Committee Overview Training. Listen to the whole session here and view the slide presentation here. We will be following up with the folks who joined the training but if you couldn’t make the training you can still join our committee. Just drop us a line here.
2020 Legislative Work Review
2020 was a truly year that highlighted the importance of climate action to build a sustainable future. 350BAA’s all-volunteer Legislative Team adapted to the circumstances to seize the opportunity to push for regulatory actions. Against a backdrop of a global pandemic that upended the legislative session and the devastating wildfires that ravaged through California, 350BAA activists fought for climate action, experiencing some wins and losses along the way.
350 Bay Area Action team meets with State Senator Wieckowski.
RESULTS FOR OUR KEY CLIMATE BILLS
[SB = Senate bill / AB = Assembly bill, click on bill to see what happened]
AB 345 - Oil and Gas Well 2500ft Setback | Failed
SB54/AB1080 – Ending Single Use Plastics by 2032 | Failed
AB3214 –Oil Spills Fines and Penalties | Passed and Signed
AB841– Expand Access to EV Charging Stations for Schools | Passed
SB1012– Hazardous and Idle Oil and Gas Wells | Opposed and Failed
AB860– Mail-In Voting| Passed
Other Climate Wins and Developments
A big shout-out to all our volunteers for pivoting on their feet to work on our climate campaigns including these powerful actions:
- Legislative team volunteers arranged over a dozen (virtual) meetings with their local Assembly members and Senators to ensure they vote “yes” on our key bills and oppose rollbacks on climate regulations.
- The adoption of the Advanced Clean Truck (ACT) rule, the country’s first zero-emission commercial truck requirement of which 350BAA garnered more than 600 signatures in support of the rule.
- The partnerships and relationships built with a broad coalition of environmental justice organizations across the state such as the Green California Coalition, Last Chance Alliance and Plastics Coalition.
- The new initiatives by our Communications Team including shareable action toolkits and a brand new Instagram account (Follow us at @350baaction!)
- The new structure of the Legislative Committee, built on the three Action Teams and the Communications Team. Great work!